Costilla County comprises an area of 1700 square miles. Major river drainages include Ute Creek, Sangro de Cristo Creek, Trinchera River, Vallejo Creek, Seco Creek, Culebra River, and Rio Costilla River.
The first settlement occurred at Costilla in the southern part of the county. Charles Barbeau, a French Canadian, was the representative of the grantee of this land.
San Luis, located on the Culebra River, was settled around 1850. Another settlement was initiated by T. T. Tobin on the Trinchera Estate, about four miles from the town of Fort Garland.
The United States government built Fort Massachusetts around 1850, but it was abandoned by the late 1850s. Fort Garland, several miles south of Fort Massachusetts, was erected soon after the abandonment.
In the 1870s, the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad was built over Veta Pass and Garland City arose. It was located about eight miles east of Fort Garland.
This site is a work in progress. Future online resources include all cemetery interments. For lookups, go to the Resources page.
Copyright note: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to, but they may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Dan and Linda Deslauriers (email@example.com) or their contributor. Although public information is not copyrightable, the format in which it is presented and the notes and comments are. It is, however, permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use only.